When you’re on a diet, holidays can pose a threat to all the headway you’ve made. With the 4th of July weekend coming up, many members of our weight loss clinics are asking for some tips to help them enjoy the holiday without getting too far off track. Whether you’re on a low carb diet, using medical diet pills or on a maintenance plan, the following tips will help you survive the weekend without packing on the pounds.
- Bring your own healthy dish. Hitting a potluck? Be sure to bring a healthy dish so you can fill your own plate with something you know won’t sabotage your diet. Opt for something loaded with lean protein or fiber so that it will help fill you up and leave less room for the fattening items served at the potluck.
- Hydrate properly. If you’re hitting an outdoor event and are going to be in the sun, chances are there may be some fattening drinks served. Opt for water as much as possible and avoid dehydrating sodas. If you plan to imbibe, drink an eight ounce glass of water between each drink and limit it to two. *If you are using medical diet pills, make sure to consult wiht your doctor to determine if you can have alcohol.
- Don’t show up on an empty stomach. The worst thing you can do is skip meals earlier in the day to “save up” for the buffet. You are bound to overeat and do significant damage if you do this. Instead, have a high-protein breakfast and opt for healthy snacks throughout the day.
- Practice awareness. Even though you’ll be socializing and distracted by activities taking place at the barbecue or party, stay conscious of what you’re consuming. Don’t hang out at the spread mindlessly eating while you chat. Be mindful of what you’re eating and take breaks from the buffet.
- Avoid saboteurs. Certain foods that are common at barbecues and parties should be avoided, especially for those on a low carb diet. Avoid obvious saboteurs such as potato salad, barbecue ribs, hot dog and ice cream.
Click through for information on medical diet pills.