Diet and exercise are the two most important components of any weight loss program. The problem is that you can't simply tell someone that they need to start "eating right" and expect them to automatically change their nutrition and eating habits. As part of our weight management counseling, we point you in the right direction in order to help you take a temporary "diet" and turn it into a more permanent "lifestyle change". We'll provide you with access to tasty low carb snacks and offer you delicious, healthy and satisfying recipes like this one for our famous Cincinnati Chili!
It's a really unique chili dish that's both savory and sweet. It's sure to be a big hit that your entire family can enjoy. If you have any great low carb recipes that you've come across we'd love to hear about them in the comments. Bon apetite!
- 2 lbs ground meat (Alt: use half turkey and half beef)
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 T chili powder (depending upon the heat of the powder and your taste)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T Worcestershire Sauce.
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon beef Better Than Bouillon or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 T red wine vinegar (optional and traditional)
- 1/4 C red wine (very optional and very non-traditional)
Put the meat and onions in a stock pot or large deep frying pan, and cook for 5 minutes, then add about 2 cups of water and mix and chop with a spatula until the hamburger is pretty well broken up. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Correcting the seasoning at the end is important. Although Cincinnati chili isn't supposed to be super-spicy, you can add heat if you like, or a little vinegar to perk up the flavor, or salt, or a bit of sweetener if it's harsh.
In Cincinnati, you can have it as above with or without cheese and/or onions.
Nutritional Information: (Each of 8 servings has)
- 8.5 gm carbohydrates
- 2.5 gm fiber
- 23 gm protein
- 13 gm fat
- 240 calories