Shrimp is a great source of protein, vitamin B12, iron and phosphorus and contains a relatively low fat and caloric value when compared to most other 'proteins'. Additionally, it's one of the sea foods with the lowest mercury levels, so it's a particularly attractive addition to any weight management program. For these reasons alone, it's obvious that it's a good idea to incorporate shrimp into your diet. However, when you get right to it, perhaps the best quality about shrimp is that it's just plain delicious!
The recipe below is a great take on the classic Italian dish, Shrimp Scampi. It's super easy to make with just a few ingredients, and cooking time is only 4 minutes! Please let us know what you think and if you have any of your own low carb diet recipes we'd love to hear about them.
Lighter Shrimp Scampi
- 1 1/2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on, pat dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced coarse salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Set broiler rack 4 inches from heat.
- Place shrimp in a large broiler proof rimmed baking sheet. (I use a 9x13 glass baking dish.)
- Sprinkle with oil and garlic and season generously with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Toss to coat. Arrange shrimp in a single layer.
- Broil 3-4 minutes, until opaque throughout. Sprinkle with lemon juice, toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information: (Each of one serving has)
- 154.5 Calories
- 214.5 mg Cholesterol
- 964.0 mg Sodium
- 2.5 g Carbohydrate
- 23.2 g Protein
Join us on Facebook! We will periodically announce discounts and savings opportunities to our Facebook Fans. Login and join today.