If you're like us, then you're constantly on the lookout for great new low carb dinner ideas- particularly ones that are quick and easy to make. Let's face it, no one wants to come home from work and prepare a meal that takes over an hour. In the age of "instant gratification" it's so tempting to just grab fast food or order take out instead of cooking your own meal. But sadly, this is one of the main factors leading to our current obesity epidemic, and a major hurdle in sticking to your weight loss program
That's why we love this new Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata recipe! It's so easy to make and the entire prep and cook time is under 30 minutes! If that wasn't good enough, you couldn't ask for a tastier dish. The blend of crunchy asparagus with fluffy eggs and gooey goat cheese will leave your mouth watering and wanting seconds. And with only 161 calories per serving, you won't have to feel guilty about indulging.
If you have any quick and easy low carb dinner ideas that you'd like to share, we'd love to hear from you. Post it in the comments below or put it on our Facebook page!
Asparagus and goat's cheese frittata
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 50g goat's cheese (South Cape brand), crumbled
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, to grease
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain.
- Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in the leek mixture, asparagus, goat's cheese and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Heat a 23cm (base measurement) non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush the frying pan with olive oil to lightly grease. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan and use a spoon to smooth the mixture so the asparagus and cheese are submerged. Cook for 7 minutes or until the outer edge sets. Place the frying pan under the preheated grill and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and just set. Remove from grill. Set aside for 10 minutes to set. Cut frittata into wedges to serve.
Nutritional Information: (Each for one serve has)
- 161.22 Calories
- 3.00 g Carbohydrate
- 15.00 g Protein