When you’re dieting or trying to follow a weight loss plan, it helps to have a few tips from the experts to make the process a little easier. There are simple strategies you can follow that will help you eat cleaner and develop a lifestyle that’s conducive to losing weight and maintaining it for the long term.
Below we’ve shared a few recommendations from one of the top medical weight loss clinics in Southern California.
1. Avoid refined, process foods. “White” foods such as white bread, white pasta, bagels and crackers can wreak havoc on the best weight loss plan. These foods pack the sugar and sodium, making you retain water and causing blood sugar spikes that result in you getting hungry soon after a meal and ultimately overeating.
2. Hit the bottle. We’re talking about the water bottle, actually. Hydration is key to having success with diets and having a healthy body, as it flushes the toxins and fills you up. In addition, it’s helpful in determining whether you’re hungry or if it’s thirst that you’re experiencing.
3. Write it down, make it happen. Putting your goals on paper helps goals become real and makes you more accountable. Get specific—don’t just say you want to lose 10 pounds, say you want to lose 10 pounds by such-and-such date. Something as simple as this will truly help you stay committed to the process.
4. Plan ahead. Doing things like cutting up fruits and veggies for snacks at the beginning of the week can really help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.
5. Boost your veggie intake. Medical weight loss clinics recommend increasing your consumption of vegetables because of their volume and high fiber content. They literally will help suppress your appetite by filling you up while giving you the nutrients you need for your body to function properly.
Image credit thinkprogress.org.