Pumpkin season is here! One of the awesome examples of fall produce, pumpkins are delicious, festive and nutrient-rich, making them a perfect meal component when you’re trying to lose weight or maintain results. Plus, fall’s versatile squash packs a serious nutrition punch—just take it easy on the dessert versions if you’re striving for success with diets or weight loss programs.
Read on for some of our favorite benefits of pumpkin—they’ll definitely motivate you to find your favorite diet recipe with pumpkin as the star ingredient. Send us your favorites and will post them this month!
1. Pumpkin fills you up. Pumpkin is an excellent source of both dietary fiber and protein, which are essential for weight loss programs, as they fill you up and promote healthy digestion. One can of pumpkin alone has contains seven grams of fiber and three grams of protein.
2. They’re perfect for diets. This superfood is low in calories—a one cup serving only contains around 50 calories. What other food keeps you feeling full longer with such low calories? Plus, pumpkin contains no saturated fats.
3. Pumpkin can help reduce your risk of cancer. Pumpkins are loaded with carotenoids such as beta-carotene, the antioxidant that gives them their color. According to the National Cancer Institute, beta-carotene may play a significant role in decreasing the risk of various forms of cancer.
4. Pumpkins promote eye health. The carotenes in pumpkins convert to vitamin A inside the body, which boosts eyesight and helps prevent age-related macular degeneration. Some of these poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds include cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin, which boasts UV-ray filtering actions in the retina.
5. Pumpkins help you look younger. Their rich content of carotenoids also boosts your cell renewal process and helps neutralize damage form free radicals, which can help prevent wrinkles.